To minimise traffic congestion in the city centre and on major City of Sydney controlled roads, the City can only approve road closures if the proposed work or event is scheduled for a Sunday. On minor City controlled roads outside of the city centre, weekdays and Saturdays may be considered. Applications must be thorough and submitted to Council's Local Pedestrian Cycling and Traffic Calming Committee around a month before it meets.
Roads can be closed partially or fully, depending on your requirements. Partial road closures are only approved in low traffic conditions when there will be at least 1 through-lane for traffic to ensure 2-way traffic can continue to operate under traffic control for the duration of the work. Any diversion of traffic flow will require the proposal to be treated as a full road closure. For further information about a partial road closure refer to Contacts (see right).
You must apply for approval to do roadwork and/or various other road-related activities, such as operating a mobile crane, cherry picker, concrete boom pump, travel tower or boom lift. Approval is also needed if you plan to put barricades on footpaths.
If you are organising a parade, march or other type of street-based event, approval is required and we recommend you choose one of our 4 preferred routes. Choosing an existing route reduces the amount of planning you will need to do.
A fee is charged for the above approvals.
|Fees description||Charge amount|
Late application fee
Deferred date fee
Major road closure
|$1,530 per lane per day, per block|
Minor road closure
$770 per lane per day, per block
Less than 4 hrs = 25%; 4 to less than 8 hrs = 50%;
|Mobile crane permit fee||$154 per standing|
How to apply
Read the instructions and associated documents carefully before lodging your application form. Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory. If your form contains incomplete information your approval could be delayed and you could incur further fees.
Follow these steps before completing the appropriate application form. Each document is available for download below, unless otherwise stated.
- Read 'Schedule C – Temporary Road Closure Conditions'.
- Review the fees and charges in the table (at left).
- Check the major roads list against the map of Council-controlled roads to make sure the street(s) in your application is governed by the City.
- Provide a site specific Traffic Management Plan (TMP) in accordance with AS1742.3 requirements. The TMP must be prepared by a Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) certified designer for Traffic Control Plans. See the TMP example first.
- Read the example of a consultation letter to local residents and businesses and draft a similar letter of your own to include with your application (if applicable).
- Review the example of a temporary road closure advertisement and attach a draft relevant to your application (if applicable).
- Refer to the Local Pedestrian Cycling and Traffic Calming (LPCTC) Committee meeting dates to check the cut-off date for your application. The committee meets once a month and your application should be lodged a month in advance of the meeting or late submission fees may apply.
- Complete your application form together with one of the following where applicable:
- crane permit
- temporary works application
- road opening permit.
If your application is supported by City officers, it will be presented to the LPCTC committee for endorsement. The committee may refuse the application or give you conditional endorsement.
Construction Regulation Unit
Tel: 02 9265 9333
|Crane permit application||PDF 174.0 KB||Download|
|Credit card authorisation form||PDF 63.0 KB||Download|
|Deferred date application for a temporary full road closure||PDF 145.4 KB||Download|
|Example of advertisement||PDF 13.4 KB||Download|
|Example of consultation letter||PDF 13.4 KB||Download|
|List of major Council-controlled roads||PDF 136.4 KB||Download|
|LPCTC committee schedule of dates (2013)||PDF 70.7 KB||Download|
|Map of major Council-controlled roads||PDF 933.9 KB||Download|
|Preferred parade route A||PDF 107.4 KB||Download|
|Preferred parade route B||PDF 107.5 KB||Download|
|Preferred parade route C1||PDF 106.3 KB||Download|
|Preferred parade route C2||PDF 107.2 KB||Download|
|Preferred parade route D1||PDF 107.2 KB||Download|
|Preferred parade route D2||PDF 106.8 KB||Download|
|Preferred parade route D3||PDF 106.9 KB||Download|
|Road opening application||PDF 244.0 KB||Download|
|Temporary full road closure application||PDF 137.5 KB||Download|
|Temporary works application||PDF 158.1 KB||Download|
Last updated: Friday, 22 March 2013