Connections with Asia
Supporting businesses in Asian markets
The City is committed to supporting Sydney’s business community to benefit from new opportunities in China and other Asian growth markets.
We provide a range of talks, training and sponsorships to provide businesses with the opportunity to learn from experts about market trends and future economic opportunities. This also builds on our strong historical and cultural connections with leading Asian cities, Sydney’s Chinese business community, and partner organisations.
Our initiatives include:
- Hosting the yearly Future Asia Business Summit during Sydney’s Chinese New Year festival. This event brings together industry and government leaders to share insights on economic opportunities in China and across Asia.
- An economic and cultural program of events in Guangzhou from 30 May to 2 June 2016, to mark the 30th anniversary of sister city relations. The events were run in partnership with the Australia China Business Council, Sydney Symphony Orchestra, University of Sydney, University of Technology Sydney and 4A Centre for Contemporary Asian Art.
- A Global Sydney marketing campaign, promoting Sydney’s economic strengths and connections with China.
- Facilitating a series of training workshops to help local businesses grow in both domestic and international markets.
- Sponsoring the annual Sydney China Business Forum, run by the University of Sydney's China Studies Centre.
- Working closely with retailers to take advantage of promotional and activation opportunities during Sydney's Chinese New Year festival.
- Sponsoring the inaugural China Australia Millennial Project in 2015, which brought together young Chinese and Australian entrepreneurs at Town Hall.
- Providing grants to the Haymarket Chamber of Commerce to promote the Chinatown area's unique identity.
- Producing the Asia on Your Doorstep campaign, to raise awareness about the diversity of cuisine on offer in Sydney's Chinatown and to attract visitors.
For more information, please contact:
Economic Strategy Team
+61 2 9265 firstname.lastname@example.org
2016 Future Asia Business Summit
The second Future Asia Business Summit on 9 February 2016 brought together over 300 industry and government leaders at Sydney’s Town Hall.
Westpac’s Chief Executive of Commercial and Business Banking, David Lindberg, gave a keynote address on China’s economy, market trends and future opportunities for Sydney businesses.
Following Mr Lindberg’s keynote address, a panel discussion featured 4 experts on Australia-China business relations:
- Sara Cheng, Senior Manager of China Practice, NSW Business Chamber
- Joy Chen, Executive Director and NSW Leader of China Business Group, Ernst & Young
- Elliot Clarke, Director and Senior Economist, Westpac
- Benjamin Sun, Director, Think China
Full vodcasts of these presentations are available below.
You can also read the media release about the event.
Subscribe to City Business e-news
Stay informed on grants and sponsorships, awards programs and educational seminars, as well as the City's strategies for our business sectors.
Last updated: Tuesday, 7 June 2016