An emerging ecosystem
- The biggest tech startup ecosystem in Australia is in Sydney
- 64% of Australian tech startups are in Sydney
- Globally, Sydney ranks 16th from 20 cities on the Startup Ecosystem Index
Encouraging tech startups will create more jobs, boost Sydney’s economy, strengthen global connections and make the city a more desirable place to live, work and visit.
Our tech startups action plan details how we will work with industry and government partners to create an environment that enables technology entrepreneurs to start and grow successful global businesses.
Sydney’s tech startup ecosystem is in its early stages of development and its needs are very different to those of small businesses. Entrepreneurs and tech startup companies need a local environment that provides support networks, business and entrepreneurship education, infrastructure and financing opportunities.
Our action plan focuses on creating an ecosystem that enables knowledge-based, innovation-driven businesses to flourish. To support the tech startup ecosystem in Sydney, we will focus our activities on 5 main areas:
- Build a strong entrepreneurial culture and community. Encourage more people to become technology entrepreneurs who start and develop high-growth companies.
- Create skilled and connected entrepreneurs. Build a robust ecosystem in which technology entrepreneurs have the capacity and networks to launch local companies that become global companies.
- Increase the startup ecosystem density. Ensure startups and the organisations supporting them are able to scale and can be located close to one another so they can connect, share ideas, mentor and partner with others.
- Support entrepreneurs’ access to funding. Generate more investors and more investment in tech startups, and connect entrepreneurs with investors and businesses.
- Develop technology entrepreneurs’ access to markets. Increase the number of consumers before and after the release of an entrepreneur’s product or service.
You can read about what the community told us and how these ideas were considered at Sydney Your Say.
The plan, adopted by Council on 27 June 2016, is designed to address the needs of individual tech startups as well as support organisations that help them to launch and scale, such as accelerators and incubators.
Proposed City programs
- Investigate the need for an entrepreneurship centre to provide a critical mass of office and event space for entrepreneurs in tech startups and the organisations that support them.
- Create an awareness campaign focused on Sydney’s entrepreneurs and the tech startup ecosystem.
- Support a Sydney tech startup festival to celebrate and promote the ecosystem.
- Include digital technology education activities in the City’s programs, such as providing sessions on how to code in our youth and library programs.
- Host ‘startup 101’ business seminars to inform the Sydney community about the tech startup ecosystem, how to found and grow startups, and enable them to network with others.
- Use our engagement and communication channels to discuss and debate the impact of innovative technology, and to showcase tech startups.
- Implement the City’s knowledge exchange sponsorship program to support education and networking activities coordinated by the entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- Create a visiting entrepreneur program to fast-track the business skills of technology entrepreneurs.
- Collaborate with partners to develop business and entrepreneurship education and mentoring opportunities.
- Assist ‘angel’ investor associations or other members of the ecosystem to hold investor recruitment education events.
- Leverage our international sister-city relationships to strengthen knowledge and investment exchange.
For more information, please contact:
Manager, Economic Strategy
Economic Strategy Unit
02 9265 firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: Tuesday, 28 June 2016