Mobile food vendors
Open for comment
We invite your feedback on our draft mobile food vending vehicles local approval policy. The draft policy is on exhibition until Friday 28 April 2017.Sydney Your Say
How to apply
We approve all mobile food vending businesses intending to sell food to the public in the local area.
There are 2 types of mobile food vending operations that are permitted in the city:
Food vans: Restricted to serving food that is not potentially hazardous or involves low-risk practices such as frothing milk for coffee or selling ice-cream.
- Food trucks: Selling potentially hazardous food such as food that is cooked to order or is required to be maintained at temperature.
The local approvals policy details how approvals are granted for mobile food vending vehicles in the city. It sets out the relevant laws for safe food handling and preparation practices, and conditions for on-street trading including hours of operation, permitted streets and proximity to other businesses.
You can download the food van application form.
Before you start the application process to become a food truck operator, we recommend you attend one of our food truck information sessions to discuss your proposed business and have all your questions answered.
The information sessions will include:
- What constitutes a food truck versus a food van or other temporary food stall?
- Addressing the required criteria in your free paper-based application to the Food Truck Design Panel (the first stage of the approval process).
- The essential features of your internal truck build.
- Your proposed plan of management.
- Permit types and fees.
- What areas you can trade in.
- Trading at events or on private land.
If you would like to attend the next information session at 6pm on Tuesday 2 May 2017 you need to complete our registration form.
Food truck applications
You can apply for a food truck permit using the food truck application form. You will need to provide copies of the documents as listed on the form, and below for your convenience.
New food truck application checklist:
- RMS vehicle registration (as proof of registration)
- Certificate of currency of third party property damage insurance to the value of $10 million
- Certificate of currency for public and product liability insurance to the value of $10 million
- Operational plan of management
- Vehicle build and layout plans
- Food safety supervisor certificate
- Suggested menu or list of foods being sold
- Trade waste permit from Sydney Water
- Health inspection report by a City environmental health officer or qualified organisation of your commercial kitchen or other approved facility.
Lodgement details can be found on the application form at part 8.
Vending at events
If you want a food truck at your event you can get in touch with the food truck operators directly.
The food trucks program emerged from our OPEN Sydney consultation in mid-2011 where many people said they wanted more late-night quality food options in the city.
To find out more about all mobile food vending approvals, please contact:
Health and Building
02 9265 firstname.lastname@example.org
Restricted areas and exclusion zones for mobile food vendors
Vehicles not permitted to operate
Kings Cross precinct exclusion zone
Kings Cross Precinct Liquor Accord & Liquor Licence Freeze
Property NSW controlled land
Property NSW without prior consent
Subscribe to City Business e-news
Stay informed on grants and sponsorships, awards programs and educational seminars, as well as the City's strategies for our business sectors.
|Mobile food vending vehicles local approvals policy||PDF 1.2 MB||Download|
|Map: Hours of operation||PDF 1019.9 KB||Download|
|Template: Operational plan of management||Word 21.0 KB||Download|
|2016 food truck study||PDF 837.7 KB||Download|
|Sydney food trucks field trial report: March 2013||PDF 911.6 KB||Download|
|Sydney food truck trial evaluation report: November 2013||PDF 1.1 MB||Download|
|Sydney food trucks trial report: April 2014||PDF 3.1 MB||Download|
|Food truck application||PDF 60.1 KB||Download|
|Food van application||PDF 58.1 KB||Download|
Last updated: Friday, 17 March 2017