Community education and outreach
Our community programs reach far and wide and we are committed to offering City of Sydney residents ongoing training and learning opportunities. Below is a snapshot of some of the community education work we do and how you can get involved.
- Each community centre hosts a range of either art, music or dance courses, as well as one-off and special interest-classes. There are community centres in Pyrmont, Redfern, The Rocks, Ultimo and Woolloomooloo.
- The Pine Street Creative Arts Centre holds innovative workshops and exhibitions for adults and children.
- Our library network holds accredited computer training courses as well as an ongoing program of workshops, talks, seminars and other events.
- Safety is one of our biggest concerns and we have ongoing community education programs devoted to road safety and many aspects of personal safety, including drug use, alcohol consumption, crime prevention and street safety.
- Cyclists can learn how to maintain their bicycle and how to ride confidently at one of our regular courses.
- Our school holiday programs feature something interesting for all ages.
- We also offer business owners seminars and forums where they can learn from special guests and each other.
- Many of our annual events like Art & About and the Chinese New Year Festival feature talks, seminars and public programs.
- Finally, we take part in festivals and events to bring our workshops to you!
All of the events, workshops, talks, seminars, forums, festivals, courses, classes and activities the City produces or presents are listed on our "What's on" website. Why not subscribe?
Green Villages is a bespoke program dedicated to educating the community about environmental sustainability. Residents are encouraged to attend our free sustainability workshops and put the skills they acquire to work at home.
You can participate even more by joining a community garden, applying for an environmental grant, studying our green tips, and encouraging our native plants and animals to thrive.
Green Living Centre
The Green Living Centre in Newtown is a community education partnership between the City of Sydney and Marrickville Council. The centre includes a bike library, free workshops, tours, simple ideas for everyday sustainable living for residents, and environmental advice for businesses.
The centre is open from 10am to 4pm Tuesday to Saturday and until 7pm on Thursdays. It is located at 218 King Street, Newtown. You can visit us in person and like us on Facebook too.
Last updated: Wednesday, 26 February 2014