Swimming pool safety
Safe in your backyard
Tragically, every year a number of children drown in backyard pools but this can be avoided by taking a few simple precautions.
The swimming pool in your backyard must be surrounded by a child-resistant fence that is at least 1.2 metres high (1.8 metres if it is a boundary fence). Gates must be in good working order and closed when the pool is not in use.
Here are some more tips for safe swimming pool use.
Swimming pool safety tips
- Move climbable objects away from the fence.
- Always keep trees and shrubs trimmed well away from the fence.
- Always leave your filter covered and chemicals out of reach.
- Always supervise children around a pool.
- Teach your children to swim from an early age.
- Consider learning CPR in case of an emergency.
Last updated: Wednesday, 22 May 2013