No Apologies, No Excuses!
Driver safety campaign for school zones
As school kids took to the streets on Walk Safely to School Day (23 May), a new school zone driver safety campaign by the City of Sydney has been praised for having a positive impact on motorists’ behaviour.
The No Apologies No Excuses! campaign drives home key safety messages around school zone driving:
- Stay within speed limits.
- Never double park.
- Always respect No Stopping and No Parking signs.
Seven local schools have already adopted the campaign: Glebe, Ultimo, Forest Lodge, Crown Street, Bourke Street and Fort Street Public Schools and St James Primary School in Glebe.
The safety messages have been given the thumbs up by school students and parents.
The campaign messages are delivered via:
- large banners attached to school fences visible from the road and around drop-off areas
- posters for school premises and noticeboards
- postcard messages for school newsletters and websites explaining why these behaviours are dangerous.
A key message of the No Apologies No Excuses! campaign is that no-one is exempt from the road safety rules.
Everyone must take responsibility when behind the wheel and never make exceptions to these rules. There are no acceptable excuses or apologies for disobeying road traffic rules and parking signs.
Last updated: Thursday, 22 May 2014