Working for the City
5 reasons to work at the City of Sydney
1. An opportunity to make a difference
Working with the City gives you the chance to engage with the community, influence the physical environment and contribute to the sustainability and growth of Sydney. The City encourages you to be yourself – we value difference and the creativity it sparks making for an interesting and productive workforce.
2. A diverse community
The City has a diverse geographic, cultural and demographic energy which awakens your senses. Working within its sights, sounds and colours is constantly stimulating. The City is a great place to gain experience and exposure to a range of work environments.
3. Be part of something special
Being part of the City means you are part of something bigger than yourself. You will be working with passionate, friendly, supportive people committed to working together to deliver for our communities – residents, workers and visitors.
4. Create endless opportunities
Our professional development program encourages you to undertake education and training activities best suited to your career. We also encourage you to further your academic education by studying for tertiary qualifications, including post graduate.
5. Commitment to safety and welfare
While we work hard, we are committed to your wellbeing. Getting the balance right is important to us at the City. We place great emphasis on ensuring our workplace is safe and accessible.
Our range of businesses
The City employs around 1,900 people across a diverse range of areas and occupations.
- Frontline services including customer service, libraries, childcare, community centres and rangers.
- Operations including parks, trees and aquatic centres, security and emergency management, city infrastructure and traffic operations, cleansing and waste management, and venue management.
- Events including major cultural and community events, late night economy and safe city.
- Projects and property including design, streetscapes and portfolio management.
- Planning and development including health and building, planning assessments, access and transport.
- Corporate services including legal, governance, finance, strategy, marketing, community consultation and workforce and information services.
Development of our managers
The City places great importance on building the skills of current and future leaders in the organisation. This is promoted in the City’s leadership and management capability framework which is supported by a range of development, mentoring and coaching opportunities.
Find out more about our competitive salaries, professional development programs and flexible working conditions.
We are committed to ethical conduct, equal employment opportunities and the health, safety and welfare of our workers and visitors.
Last updated: Wednesday, 16 March 2016