Global issues, ideas and conversations
Sydney is a global city showing leadership on an international stage. CityTalks are our flagship series of events that engage key federal, state and local stakeholders on significant issues at the global, national and city level.
An international dialogue
We aim to inspire, inform, educate and engage the community in an international dialogue to realise our 2030 vision.
Our CityTalks are free events that feature high profile international or national keynote speakers and a discussion panel of local and international experts.
- People First: Working together for a strong, just and inclusive society – 17 March 2016
- The politics of climate change: Towards the Paris climate conference 2015 – 25 August 2015
- Joseph Stiglitz: The Price of Inequality – 8 July 2014
- Mary Robinson, President of the Mary Robinson Foundation – Climate Justice, and former President of Ireland
- Connie Hedegaard, former European Commissioner for Climate Action
- Sir Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the world wide web
- David Suzuki, award winning scientist, environmentalist and broadcaster
- Joseph Stiglitz, Nobel Prize-winning economist
- Chris Anderson, curator of TED Conference
- David McWilliams, economist, author and broadcaster
CityTalks Sydney explores the major issues affecting local residents and our society.
The series focuses on enhancing dialogue and debate, as well as providing accessible and relevant information about City initiatives. This stimulating program reflects the goals of our Sydney 2030 plan, presenting ideas in a variety of formats and venues.
- Gloria Steinem in conversation with Leigh Sales – 20 May 2016
- Solving Sydney’s Housing Affordability Crisis – 12 March 2015
- A Tale of Three Cities: A journey of transformation – 22 October 2014
CityTalks Design brings professionals, leading international and local experts together to discuss and showcase design, built form and urban planning in Sydney.
Topics aim to inspire bold thinking and vision, covering local and international legacy projects, and the challenges facing design excellence in Sydney.
- Greening Global Cities: Planning parks with the wellbeing of people first – 18 May 2016
- Liveable Cities: Australia’s Light Rail Future – 5 November 2015
- Learning from Global Cities: Light rail as a catalyst for city transformation – 17 August 2015
Last updated: Tuesday, 17 May 2016