Live music and performance
We're supporting Sydney's live music and performance sector with over 60 actions in the City of Sydney's Live Music and Performance Action Plan.
The action plan comprehensively reviews the issues affecting the sector, across 4 areas:
- Development controls and noise
- Building Code of Australia
- Liquor licensing
- Audience and sector development
Already, we have:
- established a strategy advisor – live music and performance role to deliver the action plan and provide advice to the industry
- made City-owned properties available for student rehearsals
- introduced a new matching grant program assisting venues with the cost of acoustic consultants
- opened our cultural grants program up to for-profit venues and promoters undertaking not-for-profit activities, such as all ages programming or artist development projects
- established a City of Sydney Indent team in partnership with Music NSW
- provided funding for the establishment of an Australian Gig Buddies program
- committed to changing the governance model of City Recital Hall to a not-for-profit organisation in order to increase its utilisation and performance
- partnered with the NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research to undertake research into rates of anti-social behaviour in live music venues
- initiated research into rates of alcohol consumption in live music venues
- partnered with City of Melbourne, South Australian Government, Live Music Office, and University of Tasmania to research the cultural, social and economic value of live music.
As more of these plans become City programs we will update you in our Creative City Sydney monthly newsletter and will publish more information on this web page.
If you would like to discuss anything live music and performance related, please contact:
City's Strategy Advisor – Live Music and Performance02 9265 firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: Wednesday, 6 May 2015