Joseph Sargeant Centre
Community venue for hire in Erskineville
Suitable for small functions, children's parties and community meetings. The centre features a domestic-style kitchen, direct access to the courtyard, children's soft-fall playground, and half-court basketball or tennis.
It is available for hire 7 days per week from 7am to midnight.
Joseph Sargeant Community Centre hosts the following programs:
- Tuesday: 3pm-6pm - Court sports and skills building (12-24 years).
- Friday: 3pm-7pm - Healthy cooking and eating for young people (12-24 years)
Court sports and skills building
This class is designed to assist with building skills and fitness levels in a variety of sports.
Healthy eating and cooking program
This class is targeted at 12-18 year olds to assist with building and enhancing living skills, budgeting and healthy eating habits.
Venue hire information
The room is 12 metres by 6 metres.
- cocktail party: 60 people
- theatre: 50 people.
Play area and half-court basketball.
- domestic oven
- cook top
- 4 trestle tables (each seats 8 people)
- 20 children’s chairs
- 50 adult chairs
- children’s outdoor play equipment.
- Noise needs to be kept to a minimum, residential area.
- Additional cleaning can be arranged.
- Some functions may need security.
- Alcohol is not permitted.
Wheelchair access is available through the side gate to the courtyard.
Transport and parking
- Erskineville and Newtown train stations are within walking distance.
- Bus route 355 stops on Erskineville Road, near Prospect Street.
- Bus routes 422, 423, 426 and 428 stop on King Street, near Erskineville Road.
- Limited 2-hour parking.
Standard room hire fees
- weekdays until 5pm: $40 per hour
- weekdays after 5pm, all day on weekends and on public holidays: $44 per hour
- day rate (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm only): $240 per day
- weekend full day rate, including public holidays (8am to midnight): $440 per day
- elections: $1,100 per election
- security deposit (fully refundable): $300
- key deposit (fully refundable): $35
- community hire rate: 50% discount on standard hire rate.
Before hiring a City of Sydney community venue we ask that you read and understand the conditions of hire.
- cleaning fee: quotation available on request
- security fee: quotation available on request
- room set-up fee: quotation available on request
- portable PA hire: $250 security deposit per booking
- commercial kitchen surcharge: booking fee + 25 per cent
- wedding surcharge: booking fee + 10 per cent.
For more information please contact:
Community Venues Unit
02 9265 9333
Last updated: Tuesday, 1 July 2014