Late night transport
Get home safely in the small hours
Most of Sydney's trains stop running between midnight and 4.30am, however there are alternatives in place to help you get home safely when you're out late.
NightRide buses replace CityRail trains to most stations across the greater Sydney network and some Sydney Buses routes operate late too. Taxis are available for hire 24/7 and there are secure taxi ranks all over town.
Sydney Buses aim to operate along major routes all night long. Services from the city are listed below.
- 151 – City to Mona Vale via North Sydney, Balgowlah and Manly
- 188 – City to Avalon via Balgowlah and Warringah Mall
- 373 – City to Coogee via Randwick Junction
- 380 – City to North Bondi via Bondi Junction and Bondi Beach
- 394 – City to Little Bay via Anzac Parade
- 423 – City to Kingsgrove via Newtown, Marrickville and Earlwood
Many more routes operate early on Saturday and Sunday mornings, for customers who like to stay out all night. Visit the Sydney Buses website for details on late night services.
CityRail trains are replaced by NightRide bus services after midnight. Most NightRide bus services depart from Town Hall Station (on George Street, near the corner of Bathurst Street).
NightRide bus services are able to radio ahead to taxi services to meet you at your destination. Routes are outlined below.
- N10 - City to Sutherland / Sutherland to City
- N11 - City to Cronulla / Cronulla to City
- N30 - City to Macarthur / Macarthur to City
- N40 - City to East Hills / East Hills to City
- N50 - City to Liverpool / Liverpool to City
- N60 - City to Fairfield / Fairfield to City
- N70 - City to Penrith / Penrith to City
- N80 - City to Hornsby (via Strathfield) / Hornsby to City (via Strathfield)
- N90 - City to Hornsby (via Chatswood) / Hornsby to City (via Chatswood)
- N100 - Railway Square to Bondi Junction / Bondi Junction to Railway Square.
Visit the CityRail website for more information about NightRide bus services including routes, timetables and tickets.
The Transport Infoline site also has further information to help plan your trip.
Secure taxi ranks
Secure taxi ranks are staffed by security guards late on Friday and Saturday nights. There are several secure taxi ranks across the City of Sydney. See below for details.
Alfred Street – close to Circular Quay Station.
George Street – outside the Four Seasons Hotel (on George between Essex and Alfred Streets).
Phillip Street – at Chifley Plaza (on Phillip Street between Bent and Hunter Streets). Operates Friday nights only.
George Street – at World Square (on George Street between Liverpool and Goulburn Streets) on the eastern side.
Park Street– between Pitt Street and Castlereagh Street on the northern side.
Darling Harbour/King Street Wharf
Lime Street – at the northern end near King Street Wharf.
Corner Argyle and Harrington Streets – Friday and Saturday nights between 11.30pm and 4am.
Oxford Street – between Riley and Pelican Streets, on the southern/city-bound side.
Bayswater Road – between Darlinghurst Road and Pennys Lane.
Darlinghurst Road – Club Swans (near intersection with Macleay Street).
Visit the Transport for NSW website to check the hours of operation and view location maps for each secure taxi rank in NSW.
Last updated: Friday, 24 May 2013