Customs House Library
Discover the wide range of collections and services we have on offer. Learn to use our e-resources, public computers and search our catalogue and more! Find out more
Library Holiday Opening Hours
|Haymarket||8.30-6pm||8.30-4pm||Closed||Closed||8.30-6pm||Closed||Closed||8.30-6pm||9am – 1pm||Closed||8.30-6pm|
|Kings Cross||10-7pm||10-4pm||Closed||Closed||10-6pm||Closed||Closed||10-6pm||9am – 1pm||Closed||10-7pm|
|Surry Hills||10-6pm||10-6pm||Closed||Closed||10-6pm||Closed||Closed||10-6pm||9am – 1pm||Closed||10am -10.30pm|
|Town Hall Link||8-6pm||8-6pm||Closed||Closed||Closed||Closed||Closed||Closed||Closed||Closed||8-6pm|
Located in one of Sydney's finest historical landmarks, the Customs House Library spans 3 levels and highlights the building's contemporary and traditional design features. It houses a collection of more than 50,000 items and is open 7 days a week.
To become a member complete an online application or fill in a form when you next visit. It is free to join if you are a City of Sydney resident. Reasonable membership fees apply if you live outside the local area.
- Monday to Friday, 10am to 7pm
- Saturday and Sunday, 11am to 4pm
- Closed on public holidays.
- Relaxing lounges on the ground and first floors invite you to sit down and absorb the building's unique atmosphere.
- Beautiful and quiet Grand Reading Room on the second floor.
- Large selection of local and international newspapers and magazines.
- Free wireless internet.
- Public access computer.
- Scanning, printing and photocopying facilities.
- Access to many high quality databases.
- Regular exhibitions and cultural events.
- Collections in Japanese and Korean.
Loans, returns and renewals
You'll find library catalogue computers on the ground, first and second floors. Loans desks are located on levels 1 and 2. You can borrow up to 20 items for up to 3 weeks.
Returns can be made up until 11.30pm on the ground floor.
Customs House Library
31 Alfred Street
Circular Quay NSW 200102 9242 8555
TTY: 02 9242 8575 (hearing impaired people)firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: Friday, 6 December 2013