Search the catalogue
Find books, CDs, DVDs, ebooks and more in the City of Sydney library catalogue.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Newtown Library will be closed from Monday 23 May to Monday 4 July 2016 for an upgrade to the bathroom facilities.
During the closure you can still return books at the after-hours return chute.
You can also return and borrow books from our pop-up library at Erskineville Town Hall, 104 Erskineville Road, Erskineville:
- Monday: 10am–6pm
- Tuesday to Friday: 1pm–5pm
- Saturday: 11am–4pm
- Sunday: Closed
In the 'hood
Newtown Library is located just off King Street, in an historic building known as the Salvation Army Citadel. Built in 1883, the building was renovated to house the library in 1995.
To become a member complete an online application or fill in a form when you next visit. It is free to join if you are a NSW resident.
- Monday and Wednesday: 10am to 7pm
- Tuesday: 10am to 6pm
- Thursday and Friday: 10am to 5pm
- Saturday and Sunday: 11am to 4pm
As well as its constantly changing collection of books, CDs and DVDs, Newtown Library offers locals:
- free wireless internet
- public access computer
- scanning, printing and photocopying facilities
- a wide collection of newspapers and magazines
- weekly rhyme and storytimes
- dedicated local history collection
- dedicated gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender collection.
Loans, returns and renewals
Members can borrow up to 30 items for up to 3 weeks. Renewals are available online (with your library card number) or you can send an email to email@example.com. You can also telephone or drop in to the branch.
The after-hours return chute is on Brown Street near the main entrance.
8–10 Brown Street
Newtown NSW 204202 8512 firstname.lastname@example.org
- What’s on
- Make and Create @ Newtown
- Monday 6 June 2016
- Winter Warmers @ Newtown Library
- Monday 11 July 2016
- Talking Heads: Emily Maquire
- Tuesday 26 July 2016
Last updated: Friday, 13 May 2016