Copying archival documents
Visitors are entitled to 5 free photocopies. Additional photocopies are charged at $1.10 per A4 and $2.20 per A3. Copies of documents may also be made electronically and provided by e-mail, on disk or on a USB drive.
Photocopies of paper documents can often be made while you wait. If staff are busy or you've requested a large number of copies it may take a day or two. Extra large quantities of copying may be sent to an external copying service. You will need to pay their invoice.
Please note: Most original archival records can be copied, however some documents are fragile and at risk of damage from the copying process.
You can take photocopies from microfilm reader/printers and some printed material yourself when visiting the Archives – ask a staff member for details. Copies are 20 cents per page.
Photographs and plans
Photographs and plans (larger than A3 and up to AO size) can also be copied for you. This usually takes 3-5 business days; very large or complicated orders may take longer. Copies of paper plans are charged at $16.50 per sheet.
Copies of photographs are charged according to size and format required (see table). Electronic formats are available – just specify the file type (usually *.jpg or *.tif) and resolution required (normally 300 dpi for print reproduction quality) and the size at which you plan to reproduce the original on your order form.
Photograph copy size and cost
5" x 7" (125 x 175mm) $17.50
8" x 10" (200 x 250mm) $25.00
10" x 12" (250 x 300mm) $70.00
High resolution digital images $35.00
A license fee may apply for published or commercial use
Larger sizes: Price available on application
Prices include GST.
Order copies of photographs and plans using the form(s) below. Please supply all the information requested, including the intended use of the copies. Note that by placing an order you agree to the conditions set out on the order form (and below).
Reproducing archival material
Copies of documents held in the Archives are made available to researchers subject to the condition below. Researchers who require copies may need to complete an application form accepting these conditions, and pay the applicable charges.
- The copy is to be used only for the purpose stated in the application form.
- Use of copies must not infringe any copyright in the original documents or copies.
- For some plans of buildings that still exist (residential parts of residential buildings, and interior and services plans of major buildings) applicants must have the written permission of the current building owner (or their authorised representative) to take copies.
- The City of Sydney retains such copyright as it may have in the original documents and copies.
- This approval does not constitute approval to make another copy of the copy supplied by the City.
- Further reproduction of a copy supplied following this application must be separately applied for, to the Archivist.
- The applicant indemnifies the City against any loss damages or expenses incurred by the City arising from a breach, by the applicant, of these conditions.
Last updated: Tuesday, 23 December 2014