Ada Place Playground

Ada Place Playground

Ada Place Playground

Ada Place Playground is at 17-21 Ada Place, Pyrmont. This area was part of 135 acres granted in 1806 to surgeon John Harris. Surgeon Harris had two nephews, both also called John. This land became part of Block 36 of the Ultimo estate, which was owned by Dr Harris’s nephew John Harris of Shanes Park.

The area was owned by the Harris family for most of the nineteenth century and this site was not developed until 1878 when Ada Street was established. It was named after the daughter of William Henry Harris, who was the nephew of John Harris of Shanes Park and gave his name to William Henry Street.

By 1881 three two-storey wooden houses were built on this site, each just 13 feet or 4 metres wide. They were among 127 houses in this area which Sir Thomas Buckland bought in 1894 for £17,720. He was a merchant and pastoralist whose uncle was chairman of the Colonial Sugar Refinery (CSR) which owned a large area on the Pyrmont peninsula.

The houses here were occupied on 99-year leases and let to tenants until their demolition in 1942. The site lay vacant until in 1963 when the City Council acquired it for a playground at the suggestion of local alderman Sid Fegan. The playground was opened in 1967.

Image: Harris St from William Henry St, 1955. (City of Sydney Archives, CRS 48/216)

Further reading

Paul Ashton, ‘Landlords and Property Capital: the urbanisation of Ultimo 1894-1901’, BA Hons thesis, Macquarie University, 1983.

Shirley Fitzgerald and Hilary Golder, “Pyrmont and Ultimo Under Siege”, Hale and Iremonger, Sydney, 1994.

Last updated: Wednesday, 27 March 2013