History of Lilian Fowler Reserve
Lilian Fowler Reserve
Lilian Fowler Reserve is bounded by Norfolk Street, Angel Street and Newtown Primary School, Newtown.
This area was part of Nicholas Divine’s Burren Farm. Nicholas Divine arrived in Sydney in 1790 to take up the post of Principal Superintendent of Convicts. He received two adjoining grants in the Bulanaming district, 120 acres in 1794 and 90 more acres in 1799. He named his property Burren Farm after his birthplace in Ireland.
Lilian Fowler. (NSW Parliamentary Archives, FowlerL-35P-1947)
Divine retired from his government post in 1808, and lived on his farm in a house on the site of the present Rose of Australia Hotel. He died in 1830 having left his property to Bernard Rochfort, a convict who worked for him. Rochfort subdivided the land into smaller farms and sold it in 1830.
In the 1840s a member of Nicholas Divine’s family arrived from Ireland and tried to claim the whole of the now subdivided estate on the basis that land couldn’t be left to a convict, that the will was forged, and that Divine was of unsound mind!
The legal battle raged on for years, with those who had purchased land from Rochfort in good faith stoutly defending their titles. There was an appeal to the Privy Council in London, which failed, and further action in the NSW Supreme Court before the weary property owners got together to buy off Divine’s relatives after nearly ten years of litigation.
Angel Street was formed in 1873 and Norfolk Street in 1879. The reserve land was the site of the home and factory of builder John Redwin who built a private road called Redwin Street to access the rear of the property fronting Angel Street.
Redwin died in 1925 and the factory became a brass foundry until it was bought by Newtown Council in 1936 to create this reserve. Newtown Infants School was built on the adjoining site in 1922, and is now Newtown Public School. The reserve was upgraded in 1996.
Lilian Fowler was the first women magistrate to preside in court, the first woman alderman in Newtown and the whole of NSW, the first woman mayor in Australia when she was elected mayor of Newtown in 1938-39 and the first woman elected to parliament in NSW when she was elected Labor MLA for Newtown in 1944.
Last updated: Wednesday, 27 March 2013