Area 18 Surry Hills
New parking policy
A new parking policy is being rolled out progressively across the City over 12 months from August 2014.
What changes with the new parking policy?
- Areas 18, 25, 27 and 29, will merge to create to create a new larger parking area, along with a small area located to the north-west of the area 27 (bounded by Oxford, Pelican and Goulburn streets and Wentworth Ave).
- It will be known as Area 18 Surry Hills (see Area 18 map).
What stays the same?
- Eligibility for residential parking permits.
What is new in the policy?
When will the changes happen?
- In late January 2015 letters will be sent to current parking permit holders to update them on the changes.
- From 2 February 2015 Area 18 will be created by amalgamating the former parking areas of 18, 25, 27 and 29, and a small area of the CBD (bounded by Oxford, Pelican and Goulburn streets and Wentworth Avenue).
- Parking area signs with 'Area 25', ‘Area 27’, ‘Area 29’ and 'Area CBD' will be changed to Area 18.
- Once the boundary changes happen you will be able to park in the wider area 18 when the spaces close to you are full.
- Eligible households and businesses can apply for Area 18 visitor and business parking permits from 9 February 2015.
Are there any other changes to parking?
- The introduction of light rail along Devonshire Street will result in the loss of parking spaces in Surry Hills. The City has commenced a study to assess opportunities for offset parking opportunities.
Last updated: Wednesday, 22 April 2015