Area 36 Macdonaldtown – becomes Area 36 Erskineville & Alexandria or Area 22 Newtown
New parking policy
A new parking policy is being rolled out progressively across the City over 12 months from August 2014.
What changes with the new parking policy?
- Macdonaldtown (Area 36) south of the railway line will combine with north-western Alexandria (Area 35), north-western Waterloo (39) and Erskineville area (40) to create a new larger parking area – it will be known as Area 36 Erskineville and Alexandria (see Area 36 map).
- Macdonaldtown (Area 36) north of the railway line will combine with the Area 22 Newtown – see Area 22 for more information.
What stays the same?
- Eligibility for residential parking permits.
- Households that participated in the Alexandria Visitor Parking Permit Trial can continue to renew these permits. When the boundary changes come into effect those households will revert to the new visitor parking permit scheme for Area 36.
What is new in the policy?
When will the changes happen?
- In early June 2015 letters will be sent to current parking permit holders to update them of the changes.
- From 9 June 2015, the new Area 36 parking area will be created by amalgamating the following whole, or part-areas: Macdonaldtown (Area 36) south of the railway line; north-western Alexandria (Area 35), north-western Waterloo (39) and Erskineville area (40) to create a new larger parking area. Parking signs will start to change to Area 36 from this date.
- Once the boundary changes happen you will be able to park in the wider Area 36 when the spaces close to you are full.
Do permit holders need to do anything in the meantime?
- No, if you have a resident permit you can continue to park where you normally do.
- All households with resident permits will be notified in writing when the parking area boundaries are set to change, and relevant parking area signs will be changed to 'Area 36'.
- Once the boundary changes happen you will be able to park in the wider area of your new parking area when the spaces close to you are full.
- Eligible households and businesses will also be able to apply for Visitor and Business parking permits by 15 June 2015.
Last updated: Wednesday, 3 June 2015