Area 18 Surry Hills
New parking policy
A new parking policy is being rolled out progressively across the City over 12 months from August 2014.
What changes with the new parking policy?
- Areas 18, 25, 27 and 29, will merge to create to create a new larger parking area, along with a small area located to the north-west of the area 27 (bounded by Oxford, Pelican and Goulburn streets and Wentworth Ave).
- It will be known as Area 18 Surry Hills (see Area 18 map).
What stays the same?
- Eligibility for residential parking permits.
What is new in the policy?
When will the changes happen?
- In late January 2015 letters will be sent to current parking permit holders to update them on the changes.
- From 2 February 2015 Area 18 will be created by amalgamating the former parking areas of 18, 25, 27 and 29, and a small area of the CBD (bounded by Oxford, Pelican and Goulburn streets and Wentworth Avenue).
- Parking area signs with 'Area 25', ‘Area 27’, ‘Area 29’ and 'Area CBD' will be changed to Area 18.
- Once the boundary changes happen you will be able to park in the wider area 18 when the spaces close to you are full.
- Eligible households and businesses can apply for Area 18 visitor and business parking permits from 9 February 2015.
Are there any other changes to parking?
- As a result of the future reduction in parking spaces in Surry Hills due to the light rail, the City of Sydney will be consulting with the local community on some targeted changes to parking controls to improve the availability of spaces for local residents, visitors and businesses.
- The timing for these consultations is being finalised and is expected to be completed in mid-2015.
Last updated: Wednesday, 21 January 2015