Area 18 Surry Hills
New parking policy
A new parking policy is being rolled out progressively across the City over 12 months from August 2014.
What changes with the new parking policy?
- Areas 18, 25, 27 and 29, will merge to create to create a new larger parking area, along with a small area located to the north-west of the area 27 (bounded by Oxford, Pelican and Goulburn streets and Wentworth Ave).
- It will be known as Area 18 Surry Hills (see Area 18 map).
What stays the same?
- Eligibility for residential parking permits.
What is new in the policy?
When will the changes happen?
- In early 2015 the new Area 18 Surry Hills parking area will be created and all relevant parking signs will be changed to 'Area 18' – the delay is due to the completion of a parking review (see other changes to parking below).
- This page will be updated once the timing is confirmed.
Do permit holders need to do anything in the meantime?
- No, if you have a resident permit you can continue to park where you normally do.
- All households with resident permits will be notified in writing when the parking area boundaries are set to change. Once the boundary changes happen you will be able to park in the wider area of your new parking area when the spaces close to you are full.
- Eligible households and businesses will also be to apply for the new Area 18 visitor and business parking permits in early 2015.
Are there any other changes to parking?
- As a result of the future reduction in parking spaces in Surry Hills due to the light rail, the City of Sydney will be consulting with the local community on some targeted changes to parking controls to improve the availability of spaces for local residents, visitors and businesses.
- The timing for these consultations is being finalised, and is expected to be completed in late 2014.
Last updated: Monday, 4 August 2014