Some tree species
Some exemptions apply to remove or prune some species of trees. The following tree species can be removed or pruned without City permission unless the specific tree is listed in the City's Register of Significant Trees:
- Ailanthus altissima (Tree of Heaven)
- Bamboo sp (all species and cultivars)
- Citrus sp (all varieties)
- Cotoneaster sp (Cotoneaster)
- Ficus elastica (Rubber Tree)
- Gleditsia triacanthos – not cultivars (Wild Honey Locust)
- Lagunaria patersonia (Norfolk Island Hibiscus)
- Ligustrum sp (Privet)
- Melia azedarach (White Cedar)
- Morus species (Mulberry)
- Musa species (Banana)
- Olea europaea var. Africana (African Olive)
- Robinia pseudacacia – not cultivars (False Acacia)
- Salix babylonica (Willow)
- Schefflera actinophylla (Umbrella Tree)
- Syagrus romanzoffianum (Cocos Palm).
The following tree species can be pruned or removed without City permission if the tree is less than 10m tall unless it is listed in the City's Register of Significant Trees:
- Cinnamomum camphora (Camphor Laurel)
- Celtis sinensis (Chinese Nettle Tree)
- Celtis occidentalis (American Nettle Tree)
- Erythrina x sykesii (Coral Tree)
- Liquidambar styraciflua (Liquidambar)
Trees on private property can be pruned without City permission where it will achieve clearances for the areas listed in the table on this page and where the branch size is less than the diameter size shown.
Other factors to consider include:
- pruning will not remove more than 5% of the tree's total canopy
- the structural stability of the tree will not be affected
- damage or decline of the tree will not be caused.
It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure the works are exempt or if approval is still required.
Trees must still be pruned or removed by a qualified arborist and to Australian Standards.
If you are not sure, you should submit an application to ensure the tree is pruned correctly to avoid being fined.
|Location||Clearance permitted||Permitted branch size|
|Major arterial roads||4.5m clearance in height measured from the road surface and in line with the kerb alignment||Up to (not exceeding) 100mm in diameter|
|Local roads||2.5m clearance over parking lanes and 4.5m clearance over roads, measured in height from the road surface and in line with the kerb alignment||Up to (not exceeding) 100mm in diameter|
|City pedestrian paths||2.5m clearance over footpath measured in height from ground level||Up to 100mm in diameter|
|Domestic power or telecommunications lines||Minimum clearance of 0.5m and a maximum clearance of 1m, measured from the service line||Up to 50mm in diameter|
|Buildings||Maximum clearance of 1m from any approved building, measured from the surface of the structural component (wall or roof) of the building's edge||Up to 50mm in diameter|
Last updated: Friday, 13 June 2014