Child care for East Sydney
Transformation of 277–279 Bourke Street
To help meet the demand for quality child care in the inner city, the City is transforming 277–279 Bourke Street, Darlinghurst, into a state-of-the-art childcare and community centre.
As part of the childcare centre’s facilities, we will also upgrade the John Birt Memorial playground opposite the building.
- a 3-level childcare centre for 60 children with an open-air play space on each floor
- a multi-functional community facility including a kitchen and bathrooms
- a new lift, a new roof and drainage
- removing the paint to feature the original brickwork
- a bridge linking the centre to the John Birt Memorial playground to ensure children can safely cross to the park, and pedestrian access along Berwick Lane is maintained
- renewing John Birt Memorial playground including an elevated platform with shade structures linked to the bridge, new bathroom and storage facilities, landscaping and fencing.
We will also upgrade surrounding streets, including:
- new paving in sections of Bourke and Liverpool streets and Berwick Lane (next to the centre and the playground)
- new sandstone to replace the existing stairs in Berwick Lane
- 2 new LED street lights at Berwick Lane stairs.
Works to the John Birt Memorial playground will be completed in 2 stages so the KU Frances Newton preschool can remain open. Works are scheduled to begin in early June and the entire project is expected to take about 18 months, weather permitting.
Project Manager02 9265 9333
Last updated: Monday, 22 September 2014