East Sydney Early Learning Centre
To help meet the demand for quality child care in the inner city, the City has transformed 277–279 Bourke Street, Darlinghurst, into a state-of-the-art childcare and community centre.
As part of the childcare centre’s facilities, we also upgraded the John Birt Memorial playground opposite the building.
- a 3-level childcare centre for 60 children with light wells, sandpits and garden planters on the first and upper floors creating outdoor play spaces with natural light for children's activities
- multipurpose community hire space with a kitchen
- a new lift, a new roof and drainage
- removing the paint to feature the original brickwork
- a bridge linking the centre to the John Birt Memorial playground to ensure children can safely cross to the park and pedestrian access along Berwick Lane is maintained
- renewing John Birt Memorial playground including an elevated platform with shade structures linked to the bridge, new bathroom and storage facilities, landscaping and fencing.
We are also upgraded surrounding streets, including:
- new paving in sections of Bourke and Liverpool streets and Berwick Lane (next to the centre and the playground)
- new sandstone to replace the existing stairs in Berwick Lane
- 2 new LED street lights at Berwick Lane stairs.
Child care waiting list
Ahead of the project being completed, you can register on a waiting list for child care places at East Sydney Early Learning Centre, when they become available.
You can also review our other childcare centres.
For further information on enrolments and more about our other childcare facilities, please contact:
Manager, Child and Family Services
02 9265 email@example.com
Last updated: Monday, 1 August 2016