Victoria Park improvements
We are undertaking improvement works in Victoria Park, Camperdown to provide a better recreation space for everyone to enjoy. We are also improving the water quality of Lake Northam in the centre of the park.
These latest works are about continuing to improve all the elements that make this such a popular green space.
The works include:
- path and park lighting to improve safety at night
- improved and more accessible park entries on City Road
- new concrete path connections from Cleveland Street to the University of Sydney and Barff Road entry to Victoria Park Pool
- a new decomposed granite path to the park's perimeter from Cleveland Street entry to University Avenue to improve accessibility and provide a new recreation loop
- new seating, water bubblers and park signs
- a new active recreation space with a netball practice court and table tennis tables
- installing 2 new stormwater pollution traps for Lake Northam
- removing existing sediment and installing a new recirculation system, pump and weir to improve water quality
- installing a new bio-retention zone and a new wetland designed with reed plants to clean and filter stormwater runoff in the lake.
We consulted with the community about the works in December 2014. You can download the summary consultation report.
The City is continuing to work with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community members to ensure cultural and historical sites of significance in the park are well acknowledged.
Council approved the works in February 2015 and construction started in January 2017. It is expected to finish in early 2018. Further work will be continuing on Barff Road for the new entry into the University of Sydney until mid-2018.
The lake and surrounding area will be closed while it is being drained and access to some sections of the park will be restricted.
The Victoria Park Pool, playground, cafe and car park will remain operational during the works.
For more information, please contact:
02 9265 9333 email@example.com
02 9265 9333 firstname.lastname@example.org
Images: Artist's impression of the completed works
Last updated: Tuesday, 10 January 2017