Woolloomooloo improvements plan
Diversity and equality
Woolloomooloo is one of the most diverse suburbs in the city’s east.
The likes of pop stars and Hollywood royalty have been residents of the waterfront locale, while essential public housing accommodates residents living across the road. The Finger Wharf is the playground of the rich and connected, with yachts anchored in front of some of central Sydney’s most exclusive restaurants, while nearby Harry’s Café de Wheels is parked, where partygoers head to for a feed at 2am.
Put together thanks to input from locals and business owners, an improvements plan focused on Woolloomooloo helped the City plan for the suburb's future. The Woolloomooloo improvements plan is an important part of the 2030 in Your Village project, which also will take a look at 9 other key City areas.
Here are some of the major improvements for Woolloomooloo.
Parks and streets
- Bourke Street's cycling path, wider footpaths, new street furniture and gardens.
- A community garden in Bourke Street Park with a Men’s Shed proposed.
- New pavers and landscaping for Forbes Street.
- An upgrade for Wulla Mulla Park, including improving the public toilet block and new furniture and public art projects.
- Fresh traffic management put in place, including new pedestrian crossings.
Public services and facilities
- Increased street cleansing.
- Better waste management, including more recycling bins in the area.
- Cowper Wharf Roadway closure on Friday and Saturday nights to address car hoon activity.
- Promote activities for the local community at the Juanita Nielsen Community Centre, including children’s and youth programs and more services for over 55s.
Homelessness and public housing
- An agreement with Housing NSW and regular meetings for public housing tenants to speak with the City, Housing NSW and the police.
- A public housing liaison officer to help public housing tenants with matters concerning the City and Housing NSW.
- A biannual street count of rough sleepers to find out how well City homelessness programs are working.
- Dedicated homelessness services including an outreach program to help people who are homeless move into permanent accommodation.
Village Planning02 9265 email@example.com
Last updated: Friday, 18 September 2015