Green Square community development
A new kind of neighbourhood
Green Square is one of the fastest growing areas in Sydney and one of our most diverse.
According to 2011 census data:
- Green Square has a population of 13,295 living in 6,840 dwellings
- 36% of people come from countries where English is not the first language, with 10.6% from China
- residents are mostly employed full-time in professional, scientific and professional services
- households are mainly couples without children (28%) and single people (26%).
To bring this diverse community together, our community development coordinator Anna Rigg works to connect locals with community groups, events and programs.
Make sure you contact Anna if you're interested in joining a group, setting up your own, or want to apply for a grant to run a project or event.
Once the centre for betting at the local racecourse, the Tote is now home to Green Square's Neighbourhood Service Centre and library.
Visit the Tote and talk to our friendly customer service staff about rates, parking permits, waste collections and any local issues.
Use the library to borrow books, read magazines and papers, and to use the internet and wifi.
The Tote is currently undergoing renovations to make the building more accessible, find out more here.
Have your say
Green Square is undergoing a huge amount of development and the City wants to ensure you are consulted on major projects and are aware of opportunities to provide feedback and have your say.
Make sure you visit our Sydney Your Say website regularly or sign up to the newsletter and Twitter to stay in touch about consultation opportunities in your area.
Have a chat about your area
On the second Saturday of the month the City's infohub keeps you up-to-date with City staff, local business owners, developers and community groups answering your questions and providing information about Green Square. Make sure you come and visit, grab a coffee and something to eat at the Green Square Markets and take the opportunity to build relationships and share ideas about your neighbourhood.
Where: Joynton Park community kiosk, Gadigal Avenue, Zetland
When: 10am to 1pm on the dates listed below.
- Saturday, 11 October
- Saturday, 8 November.
Join the fun
There are already a number of active community groups in Green Square:
- Do you work from home and sometimes miss the community of an office environment? Join local professionals for some social networking over coffee with the Green Square Professional Networking Group.
- The Friends of Victoria Park will help you get to know your neighbours.
- The Green Square choir meets Tuesdays 10am to 12pm in the Green Square Community Hall, no experience needed.
- Meet up in Joynton Park 8pm weekdays for mah jong, tai chi and informal English lessons.
- The community hub is an online resource run by a local community team to promote local events and programs
There are also many events throughout the year in the Green Square area – to find out more, visit our What's On page and search for the keywords 'Green Square'.
Community Development Coordinator02 9265 email@example.com
Green Square – a new kind of neighbourhood
Last updated: Friday, 10 October 2014