A lively, engaging city centre
A lively and engaging city centre
- Maintaining the city centre’s internationally renowned status and enriching it with inviting streetscapes and vibrant public places is one of our objectives for Sustainable Sydney 2030.
- The city centre has a unique natural setting.
- It has special significance for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- The city centre also contains a positive legacy of open spaces, a street network, heritage buildings and landmarks.
Why action is needed
- To protect the city centre’s role as Australia’s premier location.
- Open and re-connect the city centre to the water.
- Reclaim the city centre from traffic.
- Create more and improve existing spaces for people to enjoy.
- Preserve and extend the city’s finegrain: the small scale and diverse spaces providing for boutique bars, restaurants and retail tenancies, set in vibrant and attractive streets.
- Create a more diverse and mature night-time culture
- Provide an activity focus for the city centre worker and visitor communities.
- Manage and strengthen precincts in the city centre.
- Increase the supply of small scale spaces for retail and small businesses on streets and lanes.
- Assist appropriate small businesses to locate and thrive in the city centre.
Last updated: Wednesday, 30 April 2014