Sustainable development, renewal and design
An aim of Sustainable Sydney 2030 is high quality urban design that will bring liveability and greater sustainability.
- Good urban design contributes to liveability and plays a major role in maintaining and improving Sydney’s status relative to other cities
- While most of central Sydney that will exist in 2030 is here now, some parts while undergo significant change and renewal.
Why action is needed
- To respond to Sydney’s changing economic circumstances.
- To ensure renewal areas become extensions of the local area integrated with the existing urban fabric.
- To present a coherent city-wide vision to guide individual projects.
- To recognise the role of streets, parks and squares in public life.
- To aspire to design excellence across the local area.
- Ensure renewal areas make major contributions to the sustainability of the local area.
- Plan for a beautiful city and promote design excellence.
- Continually improve development controls and approval processes to minimise compliance and supply side costs.
- Plan for the longer term structure of the local area.
Last updated: Wednesday, 30 April 2014