Live music and performance
We are working closely with Sydney's live music and performance community, delivering a comprehensive program of support ranging from regulatory reform to grants funding and free rehearsal space with our live music and performance action plan.
The action plan comprehensively reviews the issues affecting the live music community in Sydney across 4 areas:
- Development controls and noise
- Building Code of Australia
- Liquor licensing
- Audience and sector development.
In February 2017, 48% of the action plan has been implemented with an additional 33% of actions in progress and 18% yet to start.
The latest update shows the City has delivered important actions including:
- $2.77 million in small grants (each under $100,000) to live music and performance projects since July 2014
- one-on-one support to over 150 live music and performance businesses and organisations
- matched funding for venues to access acoustic advice
- free rehearsal spaces for students, with more than 1,800 bookings across more than 30 City-owned venues
- access to affordable recording facilities at Redfern Community Centre
- provided 8 musicians and performers with 12 month residences in City owned live/work spaces
- yearly business seminars for the live music industry
- ‘Amplify’, a live music programming advisory service for businesses, in partnership with Live Music Office, Music NSW and Inner West Council
- funding for all ages events, in partnership with Music NSW
- more than 1,900 free event listings of live music and performances on the City’s What's On website since September 2015
- industry development forums and funding to facilitate the establishment of a live music industry business chamber
- research into the value of live music in the City's local area, which found live music contributed $353 million to the local community in 2016 alone.
For more detailed information, download the February 2017 status report.
If you would like to discuss anything live music and performance related, please contact:
City's Strategy Advisor – Live Music and Performance02 9265 firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: Monday, 6 March 2017