Temporary food premises

Temporary food premises

How to register your business

New stallholders wishing to trade as a temporary food business at any market or event in the City of Sydney local area must register with the City by completing and submitting the temporary food stall application. This includes trading on land that is not owned by the City such as ICC, Barangaroo and so on.

Your registration must be completed at least 28 days before you first trade in the local area.

You are no longer required to notify the NSW Food Authority as well as the City of Sydney. Your application and registration of a temporary food premises with the City will count as notification.

TFP number

If you already have a TFP number you will not need to renew your registration with us again. Your TFP number is now permanent.

If you're a new stallholder, when you have completed and submitted the temporary food stall application, you will receive a confirmation email with your individual TFP number (for example, TFP/2017/xxx).

You must keep a record of the confirmation email with your TFP number when you are trading at any event or market in the local area. Event organisers will request your TFP number to help them register their event with the City.

Changes to your business

When you register with the City your TFP number is your business' individual number.

If you sell your business or something significantly changes with your business, you or the new owner of the business will need to complete and resubmit the temporary food stall application.

Charities, donations and 'free' samples

If your organisation is a charity or you are donating sales proceeds to charity, you are still required to register and dependent on your status you may be required to pay the yearly inspection fee.

If you are handing out free samples of your food and drink products, in most cases you will still need to register with the City. Sale of food is defined under the law to include a giveaway for advertising purposes or to increase trade or business.

Fee categories

There are 2 fee categories for temporary food premises.  

Category Yearly fee
High-risk stalls $210
Low-risk stalls $150

The fee is payable when a City health officer inspects your stall. The fee is only payable once a year even if your stall is inspected more than once a year.

High-risk stalls

High-risk food is anything that is considered to be potentially hazardous food and requires temperature control. This includes but is not limited to:

  • raw or cooked meat
  • small goods
  • dairy products
  • seafood (excluding live seafood)
  • processed fruit and vegetables
  • cooked pasta and rice
  • food containing eggs, beans, nuts or other protein rich foods
  • food containing the above, such as sandwiches, rolls and pizza.

Selling high-risk food types requires a food safety supervisor. See food safety requirements below, for more information.

Low-risk stalls

Low-risk food is anything that is not potentially hazardous food. This includes but is not limited to:

  • dry goods, pickles
  • salad dressings, bottled marinades
  • pasta sauces, nuts in the shell
  • salted/fermented dried meats
  • honey and jam, peanut butter
  • fruit/plain cakes, biscuits and crackers
  • hard cheeses, fruit juices
  • unopened canned foods, bottled salsas
  • raw whole fruit and vegetables, dried fruit
  • plain bread and bread rolls
  • yoghurts and confectionery
  • bottled sauces (tomato/ketchup), Asian and soy.

See food safety requirements below, for more information.


If you have any questions about registering a temporary food business, please contact:

02 9265 9333

Food safety requirements

If you are selling high-risk food types (potentially hazardous food) your temporary food premises requires a food safety supervisor. If you don't have a supervisor already, you must obtain a food safety supervisor certificate through an approved and registered training organisation

Charity organisations do not require a food safety supervisor. 

If you live in the City of Sydney local area you cannot prepare food at home unless you have consent to carry out food manufacturing in your residential property. This can be done with a complying development certificate or consent from a development application.

The kitchen in your residential property must comply with all requirements of Australian Standard AS4674.

If you wish to prepare food before the event you must rent or use a commercial kitchen that has recently had a satisfactory health inspection.

Your temporary food stall application must provide evidence of a current satisfactory food safety inspection for all off-site food preparation and storage associated with your stall. The City, another council or the NSW Food Authority can carry out the inspection for you.

The food safety inspection report must be lodged with your temporary food stall application.

Your food stall must practise safe food handling, comply with the City's fact sheet on temporary food stall operation requirements, the Food Act 2003 and the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code.

Last updated: Sunday, 1 July 2018