Older people

Domestic violence

Domestic violence support services

Elder abuse is any act within a relationship of trust which harms an older person. It includes financial, psychological, physical, verbal, sexual abuse and neglect. It can occur in the elder’s own home, in a hospital or in a residential care home.

If you suspect that an older person is being abused, speak to them about your concerns and offer them your support to seek assistance.

If you are an older person who is being abused, you can contact the police or any of the following services for help.

NSW Elder Abuse Helpline

A confidential helpline offering information, advice and referrals for people who experience, witness or suspect the abuse of older people living in their homes in NSW.

1800 628 221

Aged Care Complaints Commissioner

Responds to concerns about the safety of a person living in a residential aged care facility.

1800 550 552

Aged Care Assessment Team

Under the NSW Government Interagency Protocol for Responding to Abuse of Older People, reports of alleged, reported or suspected abuse of an older person living in the community can be made to an Aged Care Assessment Team for urgent assessment and referral. Depending on your location in Sydney, contact the following numbers:

Sydney Local Health District
(includes Annandale, Beaconsfield, Camperdown, Chippendale, Glebe, Pyrmont, Redfern, Ultimo and Waterloo)

1800 556 533

South Eastern Sydney Local Health District
(includes the inner city, Darlinghurst, Potts Point, Surry Hills and Woolloomooloo)

02 9369 0400

Seniors Rights Service

Legal advice and information for older people in NSW. Advocacy for older people in residential care or self-care retirement facilities or who receive in-home care.

1800 424 079 or 02 9281 3600

NSW Trustee & Guardian

Advice about managing financial affairs and wills.

1300 364 103

Council on the Ageing NSW

Provides information and education and works to empower and engage people over 50 years of age in NSW. Its program, COTA NSW Legal Pathways is a low-cost legal service offered in conjunction with Legal Aid NSW which assists older people to protect their financial assets, avoid financial abuse, and plan for the future.

1800 449 102 or 02 9286 3860

Social workers at your hospital

If you are in hospital and are concerned about going home to a domestic and family violence situation, ask to speak with a social worker. They will provide you with assistance before you are discharged.

Last updated: Wednesday, 20 July 2016