How to get police help

How to get police help

Domestic violence

Who can I contact for help?

In an emergency, call triple zero (000) and ask for police assistance, and an ambulance if you need one. 


If you decide to report a domestic violence incident that has happened to you, contact your local police as soon as possible by phone, or in person at your local police station (see below).

A police officer will talk to you and ask questions about what happened and will refer to this as your 'statement'. The police may ask if they can videotape your statement, which may help you in a court process as it can be admitted as part of your evidence.

Providing a videotaped statement could mean less stress if it goes to court, as you may not need to recount your experience again in front of the defendant (the person you are reporting). It can also get across the raw emotion of the incident and bring it into the courtroom.

Tell the police if you have had medical attention for any injuries.

Get the name of the police officer you spoke with (known as the 'officer in charge') and also request a police event number. These details will help you later if you need to follow up the matter with police. 

Liaison officers 

You can ask to speak with a NSW Police domestic violence liaison officer who can provide advice about apprehended domestic violence orders, as well as information and referrals for counselling, accommodation and victim support services.

Similarly, if you are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex or queer, you can ask to speak with a NSW Police gay and lesbian liaison officer, who will provide the same advice and information.

NSW Police code of practice

The NSW Police Force is obligated to respond and investigate all reports of domestic and family violence. Police will pursue the perpetrator (offender) to hold them to account for their criminal behaviour under NSW law, by placing them before the courts.

NSW Police will treat reports seriously, and provide the community with responsive and meaningful customer service under its code of practice for the NSW Police Force response to domestic and family violence.

The code prioritises the safety, protection and wellbeing of victims. It outlines the response the community can expect when reporting incidents and promotes the rights of people who have experienced violence. 

Sexual assault

Sexual assault is a crime and should be reported to the police.

Sexual assault occurs when a person is forced, coerced or tricked into sexual acts against their will. It includes rape, molestation and exposure of genitals.

Sexual assault is included within the definition of domestic and family violence if it happens between partners, family or household members.

If sexual assault happens to a child or young person under 17, it should also be reported to the Child Protection Helpline on 132 111 so they can be protected and supported.

For free and confidential advice and support, you can visit sexual assault services that are based in major hospitals including Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Camperdown.

You can also contact:

NSW Rape Crisis1800 424 017

NSW Justice: Help for sexual assault victims1800 633 063 or 02 8688 5511

With your permission, a sexual assault service or the police can arrange for you to have a medical check. Alternatively, you can choose to see your own doctor. The doctor can collect and document evidence that will help police take action against the person who has assaulted you.

A specially trained police officer will take a detailed statement about what happened. Record the police officer’s name and the police event number of your report to help you with any follow-up you may need to make.


If you think your rights have been breached by police, you can make a complaint:

Local police stations

Sydney City
192 Day Street
02 9265 6499

1–3 Talfourd Street
02 9552 8099

Kings Cross
1–15 Elizabeth Bay Road
Kings Cross
02 8356 0099

222 Australia Street
02 9550 8199

Tower 1, 1 Lawson Street
02 8303 5199

Surry Hills
151–241 Goulburn Street
Surry Hills
02 9265 4144

Last updated: Wednesday, 2 January 2019