Who to contact for help

Who to contact for help

Domestic violence

Who to contact for help

Many people are not safe in their own homes. They cope with insults, threats, and physical and sexual assaults from their partners.

The effects of domestic and family violence are experienced by everyone living in the home including children, other family members and pets.

If you have been putting up with violence and want it to stop, contact the Domestic Violence Line on 1800 65 64 63 for information. You can call the police or go to your local police station.

If you are not comfortable speaking English, you can contact the interpreter service on 131 450 and ask them to connect you to the Domestic Violence Line. When talking to or visiting the police, you can tell them the language you speak and ask them to call the interpreter service.

Domestic and family violence is also experienced by people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ). If you are LGBTIQ, you can access counselling support from ACON (an LGBTI health organisation at 02 9206 2000). For LGBTIQ legal support or the Safe Relationships Court Support Service, contact the Inner City Legal Centre at 02 9332 1966.

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, you can contact any of the numbers with the assistance of the National Relay Service.

Last updated: Wednesday, 20 July 2016