Decision reviews

Decision reviews

How to apply for a review

If you’re unhappy about a decision we’ve made about your development application or your application to modify development consent, you can appeal to the NSW Land and Environment Court.

A less costly option is to apply for the decision to be reviewed by an appeals panel appointed by the City. The panel is comprised of 2 senior planning officers and an external independent member.

There are deadlines for appeal applications to be made and determined from the date of the original decision:

  • Review of a development application decision: Council must determine within 6 months. It’s recommended you lodge the application  within 4 months to allow time for the determination to be made.
  • Review of a modification decision: Application must be lodged within 28 days.

We recommend review applications be lodged as soon as possible to allow a determination to be made in time.

Review applications don’t apply to complying development, designated development, integrated development or a determination made about Crown land applications.

Appeals about decisions made by the Local Planning Panel or the Central Sydney Planning Committee are required to be referred back to the relevant decision-making body.

Rejected applications

If your development application has been rejected you can lodge a request for the rejection to be reviewed.

The review will be conducted by a City planner.

You must apply for the review within 14 days of receiving the rejected application notice.

Application requirements

A review application should include:

  • plans and other information relevant to the appeal
  • owners consent
  • a disclosure statement, if relevant.

All documents must comply with our digital requirements.

Application process

After checking the City’s requirements, all review applications must be made through the NSW Planning Portal. We will not accept applications by email, in person or by post.


If you have any questions about the review process, please contact the planner listed on your notice of determination.

Or you can contact the City and make an appointment to speak to a duty planner about your proposed development.

Last updated: Wednesday, 1 July 2020