Late trading businesses

Late trading businesses

Stay open later

The City of Sydney changed its planning controls to allow later trading (past 10pm) in certain areas of the local area, encourage a diverse range of shops and business to stay open longer, and incentivise spaces for live music and performance.

If you own an existing business or want to start a business and would like to know what opportunities are available, please download the late night trading DCP summary map below.

If you’re located within an identified late night trading area, please refer to Section 3: General provisions of the Sydney Development Control Plan at chapter 3.15 Late Night Trading.  

You can also view the detailed provisions and the DCP map pages

As part of the development application process, the City has procedures for the notification and advertisement of new development applications and modification applications. For notification periods, please refer to the Schedules section of the Sydney DCP 2012.

For more information about different business types, please see When a DA is required


If you want to change more than your trading hours, you can speak to a duty planner. Duty planner appointments are only available at our Town Hall Customer Service Centre. 

Last updated: Wednesday, 3 July 2019