Small bars

Small bars

Changing culture

In an effort to reactivate parts of the city centre, and to build a diverse, eclectic and unique night time culture, the City of Sydney encourages a varied mix of venues such as small bars.

Before you can open a small bar you must first find out if development consent is needed for the proposed premises. If consent is not required because there is an existing development approval and there are no changes required to the conditions of consent, you can apply for a liquor licence directly with Liquor & Gaming NSW.

However, if development consent is required for the premises, you will need to lodge a development application (DA).

Please note: liquor licence applications to Liquor & Gaming and footpath usage applications to the City of Sydney can be submitted at the same time but approval will not be provided until development consent has been obtained. 

The City is currently reviewing its resources to assist with opening a small bar in the city. We suggest contacting a City planner for more information on 02 9265 9333. 


Liquor & Gaming NSW

Last updated: Monday, 6 June 2016