Road openings

Road openings


Before you open (dig) within a public roadway and footpath, approval is required.  A road opening includes:

• any type of intrusive digging into a road or footpath for utility service works
• stormwater or sewer connection works and repairs
• permanent driveways for residential properties or temporary driveways for construction vehicle access
• any works involving City of Sydney approved public domain upgrading of footpaths, roads and kerbs and gutters associated with a development site.

You can obtain approval by lodging a road opening application.

Works in public spaces such as constructing a new driveway or footpath will also require approval with an application to obtain footpath levels and gradients.

Last updated: Friday, 17 October 2014