Apply to hold an outdoor event
You'll need permission to host a small gathering, festival or outdoor wedding ceremony at one of our spaces.
Project Status: When you need to do this
What you need to do
You don’t need to apply to hold picnics or small gatherings as long as you don’t bring large items such as private marquees or jumping castles.
You can’t book public barbecues. No private barbecues, small fires or naked flames are allowed in our parks and open spaces.
- Complete an event application form (PDF, 76.14KB)
- Provide a copy of your associated public liability insurance certificate with your application.
What is a temporary event?
Examples of temporary events include festivals, street parades, charitable collections, sporting or team events, commercial activities and product sampling that engages the public.
Most temporary outdoor events running for up to 30 days do not need further planning approval. This includes events that use structures such as marquees, stages, signs and operational infrastructure.
Some temporary events can run for 52 days without needing further planning approval.
Outdoor wedding ceremonies
Fill in our park/open spaces wedding ceremony application (PDF, 65.92KB) to make a booking.
- You can book a wedding ceremony at one of our parks and open spaces. These are booked in 3-hour blocks and we allow half an hour between each booking.
- Attendee numbers are limited to 35, including the wedding party.
- You can bring up to 30 chairs, a carpet and 1 table into the booked space. But you cannot bring catering, additional infrastructure or vehicles into the space.
- If you book Observatory Hill Park, you have exclusive use of the rotunda during your booking. You do not have private use of the rest of the park or open space for any park bookings and these areas remain open to the general public.
- If you book a park with a rotunda, you have exclusive use of the rotunda during your booking. You do not have private use of the rest of the park or open space and these areas remain open to the general public.
- Wedding ceremonies aren’t permitted in Paddington Reservoir Gardens.
- You do not need a permit or approval to take wedding photos on the same day as the ceremony, but drones are restricted for use in all spaces.
Guidelines for holding outdoor events
Our regulations and procedures.
How to ensure your event is sustainable, inclusive and accessible.
GuidesSustainable event guidelinesPublished 1 July 2020
GuidesReducing waste from events and services: Guidelines for single use itemsPublished 21 May 2019
GuidesInclusive and accessible event guidelinesPublished 11 September 2020