Unauthorised accommodation

Unauthorised accommodation

Non-approved accommodation

Some unscrupulous landlords offer illegal or non-approved short term and tourist style accommodation that is unsafe for occupants and surrounding neighbours. If you see these types of rooms advertised, please report it to the City of Sydney.

Some landlords rent their house or apartment to multiple occupants under individual agreements, or to tourists for short term stays.

Other landlords do illegal building works, subdividing their premises into many small rooms, to maximise their income. This non-approved use of premises and works, which may not comply with the building code could cause serious safety issues, especially in the event of a fire.

If you know of accommodation in the local area being used in this way, it might be unauthorised and operating illegally.

Reports can be made anonymously, although the City requires an address of the premises to investigate complaints of unauthorised accommodation.

If you can also provide evidence, such as links to websites or copies of advertisements promoting the premises, it will help the City to stop this unsafe activity. You can contact the City 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The City's Unauthorised Accommodation Investigation Team was established in March 2015. The team works with NSW Police, Fire and Rescue NSW, NSW Fair Trading, the Australian Taxation Office and other relevant agencies.

Find out what to look for in share accommodation.

Lodge a report online

You can report unauthorised accommodation using our online form. You can choose to provide your contact details or remain anonymous.

Unauthorised accommodation

  • Chinese 未经批准的住宿服务
  • Indonesian Akomodasi tidak sah
  • Japanese 不正な 宿泊施設
  • Korean 불법 숙소
  • Spanish Alojamiento no autorizado
  • Thai ที่พัก ไม่ได้รับอนุญาต


City of Sydney02 9265 9333

Last updated: Friday, 17 April 2020