Project Status: Closed
What we’re doing
Over the next 10 years, we will upgrade more than 60 parks across the City of Sydney area, from small pocket parks to larger local parks.
Quality green open spaces are a priority for our residents, workers and visitors. These park upgrades will create better quality open spaces for everyone to enjoy, help keep our city cooler, and support biodiversity in our local areas.
The proposal for Peace Park includes:
- new fenced play area including play structure with play panels and a curly slide, a basket swing and nature play
- new open area with artificial turf
- increased seating, in both sun and shade locations
- upgraded plaza space with increased seating and realigned shared path
- lighting upgrade as required.
We propose to install an artificial turf area in response to community feedback about turf condition. This surface choice has been used in a section of Chelsea Street Reserve in Redfern and will ensure year-round use for the community.
To accommodate these improvements, we propose to replace 4 trees (2 melaleuca quinquenervia and 2 tristaniopsis laurina) within the park. A total of 5 new trees will be planted as part of these upgrade works, increasing the overall canopy cover of the park in line with our tree canopy targets.
Work is expected to start late 2020 or early 2021. We’ll keep you informed.