Workshops & events
Don’t miss your opportunity to be a part of the events, programs and workshops at our first urban farm.City farm programs
Sustainable local communities
City farms are being set up throughout Australia and the rest of the world, as people seek understanding about their food and the connections between the paddock and the plate.
Sydney City Farm is an urban agriculture project nurtured by the City of Sydney. We plan on holding farmers’ markets, community events and workshops, with plenty of opportunities for everyone to be involved.
Our city farm
We are creating a city farm in Sydney Park at St Peters. Sydney City Farm is being set up as a social enterprise. The project is modelled to transition over time from the City of Sydney to the community.
A community hub will be the heart of the farm and is the first stage of construction works. Construction will include new paving, edging and walls, fencing, an accessible planter and new gardens. Farm activities are planned to start in 2017.
Sydney City Farm plans to:
- grow fresh seasonal produce
- connect the city with the country
- minimise waste
- use organic growing principles
- partner with local institutions.
Stay up-to-date and sign-up below for our City Farm e-news. You can also read previous e-newsletters:
The story so far
The City was first approached in 2009 by a not-for-profit community organisation, now called City Farm Lovers Sydney, about building a city farm in Sydney.
The City undertook local community consultation and development of the project began. In 2011, a feasibility study found Sydney Park as a suitable farm site. In 2014, a business plan was developed for farm business activities, management structure and community aspirations. In 2015, a master plan was developed allowing for a detailed farm design to be prepared.
Community consultation has helped direct city farm programs and events:
- In 2013, a temporary summer garden was built with local volunteers, as a city farm taster.
- In 2015, findings from a community education survey shaped our education program. Since early 2016, hundreds of locals have been inspired in our sustainability talks and workshops.
- In early 2016, a pop-up farmers’ market was held providing direction on farmers’ market timing, location and product mix. Regular markets are planned to commence during 2017.
- A number of hands-on volunteer activities have progressed the farm design, assisted with soil enrichment, plant propagation and farm material preparation. As the farm develops there will be plenty of opportunities to be involved.
See booking information for terms and conditions.
City of Sydney02 9265 933302 9265 email@example.com
LinksSydney Your Say
Subscribe to City farm e-news
Updates on City Farm planning, construction and programs including volunteer opportunities
Local consultation about Sydney City Farm
Last updated: Tuesday, 15 November 2016