Sydney Lunar Festival Light Rail Dragon
We invite artists and creatives to design an artwork to be exhibited across 3 light rail carriages and the interior ceilings during the festival.
Applications are closed
- Applications opened: Monday 7 August, 9am Sydney time
- Applications closed: Monday 28 August, 11.59pm Sydney time
- Selected artists notified September 2023
We’re seeking to appoint one artist or creative to design the Light Rail Dragon for the Sydney Lunar Festival 2024.
Successful concepts will have their dragon design featured as one continuous artwork across 3 light rail carriages and the interior ceilings.
Sydney Lunar Festival is attended by more than 1.3 million people each year and celebrates the city’s diverse cultural communities.
Festival celebrations in 2024 will include Lunar Lanterns on George Street, Sydney Lunar Streets in Haymarket, banner galleries, dragon boat races and an exciting program of more than 80 associated events. The Light Rail Dragon will be exhibited from 29 January to 3 March 2024.
Light Rail Dragon designs need to:
- celebrate the Year of the Dragon
- be highly engaging, vibrantly colourful and eye catching, with broad appeal to a wide audience.
- integrate across 3 light rail carriages
- display artistic excellence and innovation.
- project management of the Light Rail Dragon
- light rail carriage design specifications
- Sydney Lunar Festival and Transdev logos for artist to include on final design
- production, installation and removal of the light rail dragon decals
- publicity and promotional materials.
Installation is scheduled from 22 January 2024. Removal is scheduled from 4 March 2024.
A total fee of $5,000 excluding GST will be paid to one successful artist in 2 instalments.
Payment 1 – $2,000 excluding GST
- Successfully develop and finalise the Light Rail Dragon design concept
- Liaise, troubleshoot and resolve design issues
- Prepare artwork in specified file size
Payment 2 – $3,000 excluding GST
- Successful completion of the final print-ready artwork
- Final artwork sent to print
- Post-event feedback in one-page report
The project will be paid for and managed by the City of Sydney in consultation with Transdev.
The artist will be invited to participate in events and presentations held as part of Sydney Lunar Festival 2024.
There is no entitlement to any costs or expenses other than the project fee.
All applications must be made through the online form. Emailed applications won’t be accepted.
To complete the form, the following are required:
- Artist contact details – project leader must be nominated for communications
- Artist bio/CV
- Artwork statement (200 to 250 words maximum) describing the artwork concept and how it fits within a contemporary Australian celebration of the Lunar New Year
- Coloured design references for the Light Rail Dragon
- Demonstration of connection with a community that celebrates the Lunar New Year
Please ensure that all files are clearly labelled with your name. The maximum size for each file is 5MB.
Read the terms and conditions before submitting your application.
- Innovation of the Light Rail Dragon concept for the Year of the Dragon
- Demonstrated artist connection to a community that celebrates the Lunar New Year
- Calibre and experience of the artist