Request City records

Discover the different ways to access information about the City of Sydney.

Project Status: When you need to do this

Before you start

What you need to do

After you finish

We aim to respond to requests within 10 working days. Response times will vary depending on the current levels of demand on our services and the type of information being requested.

We provide access via digital copy whenever we can or by viewing in the Town Hall House reading room. For copyright material which is not in our archive (a rough test is if the material is less than 10 years old) we’ll only provide copies if you have the copyright owner’s consent. There’s usually no application fee for requests for information, however scanning charges may apply.

About information access

Open access information

Under the GIPA Act certain information, known as open access information, must be disclosed by us unless it is not in the public interest to do so. This website is a central reference point you can use to search for what you need.

Proactive release

Under the GIPA Act we proactively release information with a commitment to providing as much information as possible, for free or at the lowest possible cost. It is also our intent to make information easily accessible to the public.

You can find information on our website or by contacting our customer service centre on 02 9265 9333. 

Obtaining property owner information

We only release property owner details if they are a business or corporation. In compliance with privacy laws, we do not release individual ownership details. You can apply for individual property ownership information from NSW Land Registry Services.

Agency information guide

You can view our agency information guide.