Project Status: Completed
What we’re doing
Concept plans were released and extensive community consultation took place.
Community opinion was divided over how to proceed.
Council decided in May 2011 not to go ahead with proposed changes and instead prepared a maintenance and site management plan for the 2 public parks.
Essential maintenance works include:
- improved lighting and seating
- improvements to the playground
- refurbishment of flower beds
- paving repair.
Fitzroy Gardens Playground
The City has revitalised the Fitzroy Gardens playground to provide a quality outdoor play space for children in Kings Cross, Potts Point and Elizabeth Bay.
To help develop a space that balances everyone’s needs and wants, we talked to children and families who use the playground, local residents and businesses, heritage experts and community groups.
The new playground officially opened on 5 April 2014.
Why we’re doing this
We also took the opportunity to carry out some necessary maintenance works in Fitzroy Gardens to protect this important park and reinstate the design of the original City of Sydney landscape architect, Ilmars Berzins.
- a fully enclosed playground area, with wheelchair access
- new equipment including 3 swings (including a basket swing), climbing equipment, slide, a pole forest, labyrinth game and chalk drawing wall
- new seating areas and trees to provide more shade
- improving stair access to the Rex Plaza, new paving and seating along planter edges and reinstating elements removed when the playground was installed in the 1990s.