Get approval to use or occupy a building after works have been completed

Following development consent or a complying development certificate, an occupation certificate gives approval to use or occupy a site.

Project Status: When you need to do this

What you need to do

Before you start

What you may need to provide

When a development is complete, contractor certificates will need to be provided to verify the building complies with the Building Code of Australia and Australian standards.

After you finish


The determination will be issued through the NSW Planning Portal, including any supporting documents.

For class 1b and class 2–9 buildings fire safety statements must be prominently displayed.

Find out more, including the new fire safety certificate template and supporting guidelines on the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment website.