Project Status: Completed
What we’re doing
The works on the heritage-listed building ensure it will continue to function as an accessible, safe and usable venue for the community and future generations.
The works included:
- restoring the building's exterior and interior
- waterproofing to protect the building's structure
- painting of the exterior and interior surfaces
- refurbishing the heritage timber windows and doors
- repointing the heritage brickwork on the façade
- restoring the main heritage hall's ceiling and anteroom
- minor structural repairs and remediation to emergency exit stairs.
The 2-storey brick building was constructed between 1881 and 1928 and was built for the new municipality of Alexandria after the community's rapid growth in the 1860s. It was used as a public school in the 1880s and 1890s, and in 1919 served as a temporary hospital, soup kitchen and general haven during the great influenza epidemic that swept the world.