Disaster recovery

Disaster recovery

Where to get help

In the event of an emergency, the relevant state and federal government authorities and other services agencies will coordinate recovery operations to help people and communities recover from the event.

If the emergency has caused extensive damage and social disruption, this could involve bringing personnel, resources and other assistance from across Greater Sydney, other parts of NSW or even Australia-wide.

The Office of Emergency Management provides support to help people and communities recover from disasters such as floods, droughts, storms and bushfires, and other major incidents.

It can help with immediate welfare and support needs such as providing food, accommodation, clothing, advice and financial and personal support.

Evacuation centres will be established to provide immediate assistance to people evacuated from their homes.

Medium and long term support will be available from disaster recovery centres, which are set up usually after evacuation centres are closed. 

The agencies providing services in recovery centres may include:

  • Department of Family and Community Services and Justice
  • Community partners and agencies (non-government organisations)
  • Department of Customer Service
  • Department of Primary Industries
  • NSW Health
  • Housing NSW
  • NSW Fair Trading
  • Centrelink
  • Electricity and telecommunications service providers.

If you are affected by a disaster and require help you should register at the evacuation or disaster recovery centre, or call:

Disaster Welfare Assistance Line
1800 018 444

If you are distressed, call or visit:

Lifeline13 11 14

beyondblue1300 224 636

SANE Australia1800 18 SANE (7263)

Last updated: Friday, 6 September 2019