Get a permit to dig a public road or footpath
A road opening application is required before you dig within a public roadway and footpath.
Project Status: When you need to do this
A permit is required to carry out any intrusive digging in the public road or footpath. The type of works covered by this application include:
- installation, maintenance, repairs, replacement or upgrading of utilities such as water, gas, electricity or telecommunications
- any type of stormwater or sewer connection works and repairs
- providing a temporary driveway/layback to premises for residential or construction vehicle access
- upgrading the road, kerb and gutter associated with a development site approved by the City of Sydney.
Don't use this service for permanent driveways or replacing redundant driveways with new footpaths. These require a driveway application.
What you need to do
Read the guide
This application must be read with the road opening permit guide. Applicants must comply with all standard conditions detailed in the guide and any site specific conditions advised in the approval and in signing the form are agreeing to do so.
Complete the application form
- The form includes a checklist and outlines the fees.
- All fields must be completed. Any fields left blank may result in delaying the assessment of your application.
Lodge the form by email
- Email [email protected].
Your application needs to be lodged with a minimum of 48 hours prior to the proposed date of works excluding weekends and public holidays.
- Email [email protected].
You will be contacted to provide payment after your application has been reviewed.
Before you start
This application form is not used for adding permanent driveways or replacing redundant driveways with new footpaths. These require a driveway application form to be completed.
- This application must be read in conjunction with the road opening permit guide. Applicants must comply with all standard conditions detailed in the guide and any site specific conditions advised in the approval and in signing the form are agreeing to do so.
- We're entitled to recover the costs incurred in rectifying or repairing any work which does not fully satisfy the standard conditions of approval. We may claim the amount expended from any bond or deposit and may recover any shortfall from the billable party cited on this form as a debt due and owing.
- Works occurring during December are restricted due to extended trading hours and school holidays leading up to Christmas and New Year. All applications submitted for works during December will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
- This application may be used for a maximum of 4 frontages of the same site.
- This application form is not a permit. Works should not commence until a permit has been obtained.
- A financial penalty or cancellation of a permit will apply for failing to comply with standard terms or any site-specific terms.