Terms and conditions
By submitting an entry into the Little Sydney Lives Photography Competition 2023 (‘Competition’) held by the Council of the City of Sydney ABN 22 636 550 790 (“City”), each entrant (you) and your parent/guardian, as your guarantor acknowledges and agrees, to the following terms and conditions:
- The Competition is free to enter.
- Entrants under the age of 18 must have the consent of their parent/guardian to enter.
- An entrant’s parent/guardian must read the completed entry form, and read and agree these terms and conditions for the entry to be valid.
- The entrant and their parent/guardian must be an Australian citizen or have permanent resident status in Australia.
- The entrant and their parent/guardian may be required to provide evidence to demonstrate the entrant’s eligibility for the Competition.
- An entrant can only submit one entry, with up to two photographs. If multiple entries from the same entrant are received by the City, only the entry received first will be eligible for consideration.
- An entrant and their parent/guardian may be asked to attend related media opportunities.
- An entrant’s parent/guardian must accompany the entrant when attending Little Sydney Lives related activities.
- The City of Sydney (‘City’) will exhibit selected photographs in Customs House from Thursday 14 September 2023 to Sunday 8 October 2023.
- The City will exhibit the finalists’ artworks on the Art & About Sydney website – www.artandabout.com.au – from Thursday 14 September 2023.
- The Competition commences Monday 17 April 2023. You must submit your entry to the City by 11.59pm AEST on Sunday 21 May 2023. Late or lost entries will not be considered.
2. Entry requirements
- Entries must meet the following criteria:
- The photograph must be an original photograph taken by a child between the ages of 3 and 12 years.
- The photograph must be taken in Sydney.
- The photograph must have been taken within the last 12 months.
- The photograph submitted must meet the image requirements outlined on the entry form.
- The photograph must be submitted in landscape format.
- The photograph can be colour or black & white.
- Entries must be submitted in JPEG (.jpg) digital format with a maximum file size of 5MG.
3. Judging entries
- Photographs will be shortlisted by representatives of the City. A judging panel constituted by the City will select the recipients of the Little Sydney Lives prizes. The decision of the panel is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Inclusion of any photograph in the exhibition or online gallery is subject to selection by the judging panel. The decision of the panel is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Finalists, winners and runners-up will be notified by phone and email by a representative of the City.
- The winner of each age group category will receive a gift chosen by the City to the value of approximately $500.
- The runner-up of each age group category will receive a gift chosen by the City to the value of approximately $250.
- There are two age group categories – Ages: 3–7 and Ages: 8–12.
- Prizes are not transferable, exchangeable, or redeemable for cash.
- If any winner or runner-up does not redeem the prize/gift within the timeframe stipulated by the City, then the prize/gift will be forfeited. There will be no further unclaimed prize determinations, i.e. no further selection of an alternative winner or runner-up by the panel of judges.
5. Copyright and moral rights
- Clause 4 applies to each winner, runner-up and finalist only.
- You grant the City, and all sponsors and partners of the Competition, an irrevocable worldwide licence to reproduce, publish, and communicate to the public your photograph (or any part of it):
- in any media format, including but not limited to advertisements, postcards, brochures, posters, television/print media, websites, social media, apps, publications and reports;
- for the purposes of:
- the Competition, including any associated event or exhibition;
- publicity and promotion of the Competition;
- publicity and promotion of the City including City media and marketing campaigns;
- any catalogue of the Competition; and
- any archive of the City or the Competition.
- You and your parent/guardian acknowledge and agree that the City may adapt your photograph, including but not limited to adapting the photograph for the online gallery, for any large format reproduction for exhibition, or for use in City media and marketing campaigns.
- You and your parent/guardian warrant that you are the owner of all intellectual property rights in the photograph, or have obtained all necessary approvals and consents to permit the entry of the photograph into the Competition and for use of the photograph in accordance with these terms and conditions.
- Photography that infringes the intellectual property rights of any person will be immediately removed from the Competition and you must return to the City any prize/gift provided to you by the City.
- The City will use its best endeavours to acknowledge you in all Competition publicity as the creator of the photograph.
6. Release and indemnity
- Clause 5 applies to each winner, runner-up and finalist only.
- You and your parent/guardian release the City, and all sponsors and partners of the Competition, from any claim, damage, expense, loss, cost or liability with respect to:
- the infringement of the entrant’s moral rights in respect of your photograph; and
- the use of your photograph by the City, or the sponsors and partners of the Competition.
- You, and any identifiable person in the photograph, may be asked to sign a model release as a condition for inclusion of your photograph in the Competition. Failure to provide this release may result in your photograph not being selected as a finalist or winner.
- You and your parent/guardian agree to indemnify the City, and the sponsors and partners of the Competition, against any claim, damage, expense, loss, cost (including reasonable legal costs) or liability (including liabilities of the City to third parties) arising out of or in connection with:
- infringement of any intellectual property rights in respect of the entrant’s photograph;
- use of the entrant’s photograph by the City, or the sponsors and partners of the Competition; and
- the Competition.
7. Exhibitions and events
- This clause 6 applies to each finalist, major winner and minor winner only.
- You agree to attend the City’s official exhibition of Competition entries, and/or related events and media opportunities, and agree to do so with no fee or further remuneration being paid to you, other than as set out in these terms and conditions.
- If the City or a sponsor or partner of the Competition wishes to host an additional exhibition of Competition entries, or event related to the Competition, you agree to your photograph being exhibited with no fee or further remuneration being paid to you.
- Your exhibited photograph will be acknowledged on signage that lists your name and the title of the photograph and, subject to you providing consent, your contact details.
- Where the City requires you to attend or participate in any such additional exhibition or event, this will be the subject of a separate agreement between the parties.
8. Large format reproduced photograph
- Clause 7 applies to each winner, runner-up and finalist only.
- Any large format reproduction of the photograph produced by the City, including reproductions for the purposes of exhibition, will be the property of the City.
- If the entrant’s photograph was included in the City’s official exhibition of Competition entries, the City will send the entrant’s parent/guardian the large format reproduction of your photograph if it has not been lost or destroyed, once it is no longer required by the City.
- The City takes no responsibility for the reproduction whilst in transit, or if it is lost or damaged.
- Upon your receipt of the reproduction of the photograph, it will become the property of the entrant’s parent/guardian.
- The Competition is a game of skill, and chance plays no part in determining the winner.
- Children of City employees and children of Councillors of the City, and their immediate families, are ineligible to enter.
- By entering the Competition, you acknowledge and accept these terms and conditions.
- The City may cancel or vary the Competition or these terms and conditions at any time. The City will not be responsible for any loss or costs incurred by you in relation to such cancellation or variation.