Sydney Lunar Festival Banner Gallery
We invite artists and creatives to design an outdoor public art installation for the 2024 festival celebrating the Year of the Dragon.
Applications now closed
- All applicants will be contacted in early June.
We’re seeking to appoint up to 4 artists and creatives to design the Banner Gallery.
Successful concepts will use the street banner network throughout the city centre in a corridor-like effect along key thoroughfares and transit routes.
Sydney Lunar Festival is attended by more than 1.3 million people each year and celebrates the city’s diverse cultural communities.
The 2024 Sydney Lunar Festival celebrations include Lunar Lanterns on George Street, Sydney Lunar Streets in Haymarket, Dragon Boat Races and an exciting program of more than 80 associated events.
The Banner Gallery will be exhibited from 10 February to 25 February 2024.
Your concept for the Banner Gallery should:
- reflect the Year of the Dragon or draw inspiration from one of the communities that celebrate the Lunar New Year
- be highly engaging, vibrant and colourful, and appeal to a broad audience
- demonstrate artistic excellence, innovation, and a creative approach
- be designed in line with the banner specifications
- consider the sequencing of banners with up to 6 designs permitted in each banner gallery location.
The Banner Gallery will be presented within existing creative and design elements. Note, the installation will include generic 2024 Sydney Lunar Festival banners.
Banner Gallery locations and banner types:
- Alfred Street, Circular Quay: located along the light rail line, ‘A type banner poles’ are used in this zone.
- George Street north, Sydney: between Alfred Street and Angel Place, ‘A type banner poles’ are used in this zone.
- George Street centre, Sydney: from Martin Place to Bathurst Street, ‘A type banner poles’ are used in this zone.
- Liverpool Street, Sydney: Adjoining Korea Town, ‘A type banner poles’ are used in this zone.
Banner Gallery fabric design and printing details:
- designs need to show very strong colours to work most effectively with fabric printing
- the colours need to be dominant enough to penetrate to the other side of the banners.
The City of Sydney will provide the following:
- project management of the banner gallery
- printing and production of all banner gallery artwork banners
- installation and dismantling of banner gallery artwork banners. Installation is scheduled for w/c 5 February 2024
- production of all publicity and promotional materials.